Hickerson Station Elementary was started in the early 1900's as a small community school with teachers holding classes in an old church building near Concord Baptist Church. It is the smallest school in Coffee County. The small size contributes to the community spirit and family atmosphere within the school.
When the first Hickerson Station School building was built it served students in grades one through eight with two classrooms and two teachers. In 1949, the Coffee County Board of Education consolidated the small community schools of Hickerson Station, Mount Vernon, Center View, and Seminary Hill into one school. A four-room schoolhouse was built at the present site, housing students and three teachers. Shortly after this consolidation, the schools at Ragan and Mt. View were included at Hickerson. In 1973, this four-room building was replaced by the present building.
Still growing with its community, Hickerson had undergone its fourth building addition in 1995. This brought the number of classrooms to 17, serving 230 students with 21 teachers, a full library, gymnasium, music room, speech room, computer lab, and cafeteria.
In the spring of 2002, Jones Elementary School, a rural community school located on Riley Creek Road approximately 1.5 miles from Tullahoma in Coffee County, was closed. In the fall of 2003 Hickerson Elementary and the previous Jones Elementary School were consolidated, thus increasing Hickerson Elementary's student enrollment and classes.
The original "family atmosphere" remains at our school with the children and grand-children of former students currently in attendance. Parents are welcome an encouraged to participate in the educational process in many ways, including the Parent Volunteer Program and the School Improvement Association.